My plant-based clients LOVE this one. It’s taken multiple experiments to get this recipe down, but I finally nailed it. The Black Bean & Lentil Burger is vegan, healthy, tasty and you’re not harming the environment (sorry, but we all know the beef industry takes up a ton of land space).
Post and tag on Instagram if you end up making this! @amberavogato
Black Bean & Lentil Burgers
- 1 cup green lentils dry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small carrot shredded
- 2 cans black beans rinsed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder I use Trader Joe's Chile Lime
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 gluten free breadcrumbs or oat flour
- 1 tbsp mayo I use Sir Kensington's
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp BBQ sauce I use Noble Made
- 2 eggs or flax eggs
- 4 oz vegan feta (optional) I use Violife
- Cook lentils according to package. This will take 30-40 minutes. Prepare the other ingredients in the meantime.
- Saute green pepper, carrot, and onion until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic, black beans, and cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add all spices to pan and stir.
- Remove from heat, and add lentils to pan. Stir and combine.
- Add mixture to food processor or high power blender. Blend well.
- Add breadcrumbs, condiments, eggs and blend well.
- Remove from blender, and place mixture in bowl. Sprinkle vegan feta over mixture and combine with hands.
- Pat mixture into 4 sturdy patties.
- Heat olive oil in non stick pan, and cook patties on medium heat for 3-5 minutes per side.
- Top with desired toppings. Guacamole and pickled onions are a great choice!