There is nothing I love more than a good ole pie, and who doesn’t love a chocolate one? I’ve taken a spin on the classic pecan pie and added the South’s finest spirit and the devil’s favorite candy… this pie is sure to curb your sweet tooth!
Many traditional pie crust recipes call for shortening or margarine, and I REFUSE to cook with either of those ingredients… it’s 2019, and we know how bad those are for you! This pie crust is made with real butter, and has an amazing flavor… you will not miss your wannabe butter, I promise.
Dark Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie with Homemade Pie Crust
For the crust:
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, unbleached
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup frozen unsalted butter (or firm coconut oil for a dairy-free option)
5-6 tbsp cold water
For the pie:
2 cups whole pecans
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
6 ounces semisweet chocolate
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 tbsp bourbon (Maker’s Mark)
1/2 tsp salt
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread pecans evenly on greased baking pan. Set aside.
2. Sift flour into bowl. Shred frozen butter with cheese grater, into bowl of flour. Add salt. Mix well.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time to the dough mixture. The dough should be a rough ball, but not too sticky. Mix well, but do not over mix.
4. Roll out dough on flat surface until it is a few inches in diameter larger than your pie pan. Sprinkle additional flour on sough to prevent sticking to the rolling pin.
5. Carefully place the dough into your 9 inch pie pan, and trim around the edges if you need.Set aside in fridge.
6. Bake sheet of pecans for 8-10 minutes.
7. In the meantime, make the filling.
8. In a small saucepan, heat both chocolates, brown sugar, corn syrup, and butter over low heat until melted. Remove from heat and set aside. Let cool.
9. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, vanilla extract, bourbon and mix. Slowly add in 4/5 of pecans (unless you do not care to place some on top of the pie). Lastly, combine chocolate mixture. Stir well!
10. Remove pie crust from fridge, and fill it with pie mixture. Arrange extra pecans on top.
11. Cook for 35-40 minutes or until set (pan should jiggle just a little).
12. Serve warm, and with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
If you loved this recipe, leave me a comment or share on Instagram, @goodafeats, #goodAFeats!