Thank you to all the birthday wishes, messages, and texts I received this past week! My best friend, Ashton flew me out for 2 days to her home in North Carolina, and we literally just took it easy and watched Netflix. Over the weekend, I went to the symphony for a Back/Mozart/Elgar showing, ate my fave pizza, and danced the night away at Bourbon Street Blues in Nash. On the day of, I ate Mexican with my family. What a fun birthday, 28 has been!
To celebrate another year of life, I wanted to make a list of things I’m grateful for at this point in my life. It’s so easy to get wrapped up in the cynical-ness of the modern world. It’s important to take a step back, and appreciate what we do have, minus all our troubles and sorrows. Below is my list… what are YOU grateful for today?
“Let us never know what old age is. Let us know the happiness time brings, not count the years.” -Ausonius
28 Things I’m Grateful For (Plus 1 to Grow On)
1. For my travel experiences – Discovering new places and new people is my jam. And eating the local cuisine, of course.
2. The USA – I’m very blessed to live in a country where I’m free to act, and say what’s on my mind without persecution.
3. Fresh flowers
4. Memories of my dad – I had 22 wonderful years with my dad before he passed, and I think about him every day. I will always be a daddy’s girl.
5. My mom – Without my mom, the death of my dad would have been even more unbearable. My mom is a strong woman, and I commend her for the battles she’s had to face. I’m so thankful she lives so close to me now.
6. Hummus + Crackers – Not necessarily together, but I love both.
7. Sheets fresh out of the dryer – I mean, there really is no better feeling.
8. My grandma – The matriarch of our family. My grandma puts everyone before herself no matter what, and shows me what true love is. I’ve told her time and time again we should name a church after her.
9. My house – Nashville is growing, and the house market is competitive af rn. I am so lucky to own a house in a good neighborhood.
10. Handwritten letters – They never go out of style.
12. New Orleans – For a few reasons: it’s my favorite town (minus Nashvile), and I met my person in this wonderful city.
13. Joe – My person. I can’t wait to see where the future takes us.
14. Music – Music has and always will be a part of my life.
15. The outdoors
16. Cats…specifically mine – If you don’t know how crazy I am for cats, then you must not know me very well. Pretty sure I was an Egyptian in a past life… I love my sweet angels, Albus and Hasty – both tuxedo tomcats. And for the record, I like dogs too.
17. Old books – I love the smell (is that weird? Idc.)
18. Parallel Parking – All my friends make me parallel park for them. It’s a skill, y’all.
19. Concealer – I have really pretty dark circles.
20. The ocean – Because it involves everything I love – the sun, the beach, and seafood.
21. Nutrition and access to healthy food
22. Not being in my early 20s – And they say puberty is rough.
23. The internet – Call me cliché’, but it’s a great way to meet people and have the world’s knowledge at your fingertips.
24. Hulu – Even busy people need to catch up on The Handmaid’s Tale.
25. Manicures – A fresh set of nails make me feel like a brand new woman.
26. NASA – Real guys go for real down to Mars girls.
27. My friends – My 20s have been a period of learning and growth. Through this, I’ve let go of people who don’t belong in my life, and held onto the ones who do.
28. My friendship with my friend Tim – I lost one of my best friends (practically my brother) when we were only 25. He was the definition of a true friend, and I will never forget his kind heart.
and last but not least…
29. God – With Him, we have so much to be thankful for.
Cheers to a good year. Xoxo, Amber