If you know me, you know I love seafood. My dad was a foodie, and spoon fed me Cajun seafood gumbo at the age of one. Nashville had a sad selection of seafood restaurants in the 90s, but we still went to a place called, “Florida Seafood” a few times of year, as well as “Bro’s Cajun Cuisine” (where you can still get said gumbo… Charlotte Avenue – CHECK IT OUT).
I didn’t care for scallops until recently, but it wasn’t because they were necessarily unappetizing . It was because every time I ordered scallops, they were rubbery and chewy. After ordering them from multiple establishments, I just figured that’s how scallops were supposed to taste – like a tire.
Thank God, I was finally served scrumptious scallops, and no longer presume them to be distasteful. The inspiration for this recipe comes from an amazing seafood restaurant in Raleigh, NC called “42nd Street.” They serve bacon wrapped scallops, and DAMN are they memorable. I had to create my own version… so, here we are.
I like to serve mine with asparagus, and lemon risotto.
Bacon Wrapped Seared Scallops
12 fresh large scallops
1 1lb of bacon (I like lower sodium)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Rinse off scallops in cold water. Pat dry with paper towels.
3. Cut bacon slices in half OR if your scallops are large, wrap the bacon around, and cut off what you need to. Keep in mind bacon shrinks when it cooks. I like to put the thickest part of the bacon around the thickest part of the scallop. Make sure the bacon is tight around the scallop. Secure with a toothpick if you wish.
4. Lightly sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of scallops.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Flip and then bake for another 10-15 minutes.
6. In the meantime, cook any bacon you have leftover in a cast iron skillet, or regular frying pan. Keep the grease in the pan!
7. Turn stove top [with the bacon grease skillet] on medium. Once oil is warm, sear each side of scallops for 2 minutes.
8. Remove from heat, and let cool for a few minutes. Then you are ready to eat immediately!