Happy Monday, friends! I hope you all had a lovely, adventure-filled weekend. I know I did… I just started binge watching Game of Thrones (yeah, yeah, I’m behind). The addiction is real. I finished Season One in three days, and on the third day I only had two episodes left. These were on days I worked, mind you.
I found out my best friend is 99% sure she’s moving to a different state for a new job (very excited for her), and I wanted to hear all about it, so I asked her to dinner this past Saturday. We checked out this new Cuban/Puerto Rican restaurant (which I’ll be posting about later), and then made the executive decision to head back to my place to finish a bottle of bourbon. Impromptu hangs are sometimes the best kind. We woke up and the living room looked like a party had ensued just hours earlier.
This week I went to another friend’s house who started her own vegetable garden this summer – and it’s been very successful. She grew a zucchini almost 18 inches long, and nearly 5 inches in diameter… when she showed it to me, I died laughing for a good ten minutes. How the HELL did it get that big!?
We brainstormed how to cook it, and after throwing the usual suggestions out (zucchini bread.. or brownies? WHAT ABOUT BROWNIES), we settled on mini personal pizzas.
Now, I’m aware that you can’t just walk into the grocery store and find a steroid sized squash. You do not have to have a home-grown or giant zucchini to make these. I reckon they are bigger at a Farmer’s Market, or local vegetable stand, but any size is fine… the smaller it is, the more zucchinis you will have to buy and cut up.
I’m going to share with you the variations we made. YOU CAN MAKE WHATEVER YOU WANT! The beauty behind these, is they’re YOUR pizzas. Get creative! We spent the most time just designing and making them because it was so fun to come up with different ideas and test some out (a few of them tasted like shit and I will not add those on here, hah).
Mini Zucchini Pizzas
Serves: up to 4-5
For the Base Ingredients:
Jar of Marinara Sauce (I used Classico)
Large Zucchini (Use your judgment, but buy 4 if they’re regular size)
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, 2 cups
For the Topping Ingredients:
Shredded Five Cheese Blend
1. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly coat a baking sheet or pan with oil or cooking spray (even if you use parchment paper – which I would suggest!)
2. Slice your zucchini to your desired thickness. I recommend cutting them to be ¼ inch thick. I love thin crust pizza, and this was the best equivalent. Once you are done slicing, spray your pieces, and lay flat on your baking sheet. Roast in the oven for ten minutes, or until slightly brown.
3. Cook any of your ingredients in the meantime (sausage, green peppers, mushrooms, etc).
4. Once zucchini slices are done roasting, remove from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes. Turn your oven to the broil setting.
5. Add a dollop of sauce to each slice, and top with cheese and your choice of toppings.
6. Place pizzas back on oiled baking sheet, and place in oven for 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted & slightly brown
7. Remove from oven, and serve immediately.
Jalapeno Popper Pizza – Cream cheese spread (omit marinara!), pickled jalapenos, bacon bits
Vegan Pizza – Marinara sauce, green peppers, mushrooms, banana peppers
Summer Peach Pizza – Marinara sauce, fresh peach slices, goat cheese, basil, chopped pecans
Margherita Pizza– Marinara sauce, sliced mozzarella balls, sliced grape tomatoes, basil
Classic Pizza – Marinara sauce, mini pepperonis, banana peppers
Cheesy AF Pizza – Marinara sauce, sliced mozzarella cheese, 5 Cheese blend, Italian Seasoning